Go Green for 2016

Tara & Co Estate and Letting agents based in Leamington Spa, have teamed up with the Green Party to help you bring your property up to the required energy standard, as is required by the government for 2016, when the minimum EPC rating "E" comes into effect.

As landlords, some of you may already have your properties at their highest possible energy rating, but few people have adopted solar pv as yet.  The installation of obvious energy saving measures like solar pv are a great selling point for tenants looking to rent houses.

Information on Feed in Tarriffs

Feed-in Tariffs were introduced on 1 April 2010 and replaced UK government grants as the main financial incentive to encourage uptake of renewable electricity-generating technologies. Most domestic technologies qualify for the scheme, including:

  • solar electricity (PV) (roof mounted or stand alone)
  • wind turbines (building mounted or free standing)
  • hydroelectricity
  • anaerobic digesters
  • micro combined heat and power (CHP).

The UK Government's Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) makes the key decisions on FITs in terms of government policy. The energy regulator Ofgem administers the scheme.

Your energy supplier will make the FITs payments to you. The large energy suppliers are required by law to provide them; smaller suppliers are not, but many have opted to offer them anyway.

For you to qualify for FITs, the installer and the products you use must both be certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), except hydro and anaerobic digestion which have to go through the ROO-FIT process. The tariffs you receive depend on both the eligibility date and, for solar PV, your property's EPC rating.

The new feed in tariff rates on solar pv from 1st April 2015 can be found on the following link: http://greenbusinesswatch.co.uk/uk-feed-in-tariff-rates-all-technologies

Insulate your home and find our how much you can save

There are many simple yet effective ways to insulate your home, which can significantly reduce heat loss while lowering your heating bills. Read on to find out exactly how this can be done in every part of your house.

For more information on insulation click the link here: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/domestic/content/home-insulation

Some easier methods of improvement such as installing new lighting systems, and changing boilers, can make a significant difference to energy rating.  For any help with contacting contractors or installers, contact Tara and Co Estate Agents, Leamington Spa, and we will be able to put you in touch with the right people, or handle the job for you.

Many properties to rent in Leamington Spa and Warwick are single glazed, and in conservation areas, or are listed buildings, meaning you won't be able to do things like double glaze the windows, but you can still look into other options which will help to reduce energy bills, and improve efficiency, ultimately meaning more income for you as landlords.